Bundutec Defender Trophy
Limpopo 2020 (22 – 27 March 2021)
Bundutec Defender Trophy Limpopo 2021 – Programme & Route information
Welcome to the magic of the Defender Trophy Limpopo 2021, which will take place in the South African sectors of the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park.
Note: This is not a driving competition, but a family friendly overland fun event aimed at Defender enthusiasts. Each day participants receive a questionnaire about the local culture, fauna, flora and of course Land Rover, and the “team” with the highest score will be the winners!
The inaugural event took place in 2004 in Lesotho, Limpopo province in 2005, and in 2006 we followed the Limpopo river into Mozambique and into The Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park – and what memorable events they were!!
In those days the Defender trophy was squarely aimed at the average Defender owner and family, and offered great Defender adventures with fun-filled competitions focused around the Defender and its rich heritage.
Standard vehicles were the order of the day, and “obstacles” along the way were selected with great care to ensure the vehicles were not damaged in any way.
Bonding and camaraderie between the guys was something out of this world!
After Johan left and hand the event over to Land Rover Centurion, it became more of a “Camel Trophy”, which ended in 2014.
At the 2016 “Defender farewell party”, Johan was prompted to re-instate the Defender Trophy and based it on the original winning formula!
The first “new” Defender Trophy took place in Limpopo in 2016, which has since become an annual event. And due to popular demand a second annual Defender Trophy is now also organised for Defender owners in the Western- and Eastern Cape.
The rest is history – come and experience one of these great Defender events for yourself!
Programme & Accommodation
Day Zero: Monday 22 March 2021
- Arrive at Camp Dawid (to be confirmed) at Ofcolaco in your own time.
- Registration, refuel, and welcome activities at Camp Dawid
- Camping at Camp Dawid
NOTE: You will have to be TOTALLY self sufficient until Saturday 27 March !!
Day One: Tuesday 23 March 2021
- Registration and refuel will continue.
- 12h00: Start of the Defender Trophy Limpopo 2020!
- Depart from Camp Dawid, drive past Gravelotte and enter the Letaba Ranch sector of the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park
- Note: There are no fences between Letaba Ranch and Kruger National Park.
- Big 5 wilderness camping – no ablutions!
Day Two: Wednesday 24 March 2021
- Visit the confluence of the Great and Little Letaba rivers.
- Cross the Great Letaba river, and briefly exit the Park for a humanitarian outreach at one of the local primary schools
- Re-enter the Park and camp tonight next to the Little Letaba river.
- Big 5 wilderness camping – no ablutions!
Day Three: Thursday 25 March 2021
- Early rise and shine, as we have a long day ahead of us.
- Exit the Park, cross the Little Letaba river, and loosely follow the fence of the Kruger National Park.
- We trek through the land of the Shangaan and Venda people, before arriving at the Makuya Park sector of the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park.
- Enter the Park and wilderness camp on the banks of the Luvuvhu river – no ablutions!
Day Four: Friday 26 March 2021
- Still in Makuya Park, we now follow the wild tracks across the mountains and valleys in a northerly direction.
- Makuya Park is well known for its stunning topography, and we will be able to admire the view across this vast wilderness from World’s View, before descending down to the banks of the Luvuvhu river for our last evening of wilderness camping – limited ablutions – elephants permitting !
Day Five: Saturday 27 March 2021
- Almost the best for last …. as we make our way to the Mutale river.
- We cross the Mutale river (to be confirmed), and exit the Park close to the Pafuri gate of Kruger National Park.
- Back on the main road and only 12 km to the luxury of Awelani Community Lodge !
- Prize giving dinner at Awelani Lodge.
- Camping with ablutions
- OR upgrade to one of their Chalets or Luxury tents from R 450.00 per person
Sunday 28 March 2021
– Depart in your own time.
- Participation in the Bundutec Defender Trophy Limpopo 2021
- Park entry fees
- Park camping fees
- Camping from Tuesday 23 March up to and including Saturday 27 March – You are welcome to upgrade to lodge accommodation – first come first serve basis.
- Prize giving & dinner
- Main Sponsor’s prize: A brand new electric Bundutop rooftop tent!
- First Prize: Set of 4x BFGoodrich tyres
- Second Prize: SuperWinch winch
- Third Prize: MadMan engine monitoring system
- Plus goody-bags and lots more !!
- Camping on Day Zero
- Catering – except for the prize giving dinner
Rate: R 10 000.00 per team (2 x participants) / R 1550.00 per additional participant
Full amount payable at registration / Standard Terms and Conditions apply
ONLINE REGISTRATION: WWW.DEFENDERTROPHY.COM
R10,000 – R13,500
Please contact us.